Non-binary gender thought questions
From an autistic observer (https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/03/why-are-a-disproportionate-number-of-autistic-youth-transgender.html)
The stubborn rationality of Autistic people also helps explain, I think, why so many of us are transgender, nonbinary, or gender non-conforming. Gender roles. and gender assignment, are nonsensical. Every society in existence pairs a ton of rigid, arbitrary expectations on people because of their genitals — from the kinds of clothing they can wear, to the ways they’re allowed to sit, to the jobs they’re expected to be good at, to how their voices ought to lilt when they speak. Autistic people can see how bullshitty those rules are, and are more apt to refuse to follow them. I don’t think a greater percentage of Autistic people are trans, necessarily — I think, though, that we’re far more likely to be out.
- Progressive groups often start meetings asking participants their preferred gender pronoun. When did that start, why, what are your pronouns?
- A little about your bio in terms of being raised in gender-binary heterosexual-dominant culture.
- Gender is socialized. Radical feminists envisioned a society where anatomy doesn’t determine anything, as in The Dialects of Sex (1970) by Shulamith Firestone. Marge Peircy’s Woman on the Edge of Time (1976) used “per” instead of he or she (Swedes use “hen.” Birth was done in machines, with three parents.
Non-binary gender is legal in Canada, Germany, Austria, India, Oregon and California.
Androgyny: Sandra Bem’s Sex Role Inventory androgynous people are the most flexible.
Third gender (indigenous bardesh and two spirit, and Indian
Gender bending as in androgynous-looking bands in Japan, North Korea, and China
Gender neutrality as in Yoruba people in Nigeria who have a gender free language—age is the category.
- What about the physiology of gender? How much of our sexual orientation is determined, how much socialized? See the article “Your Default Brain is Female,” Taylor Mitchell Brown, June 26, 2018. https://medium.com/s/story/your-default-brain-is-female-7481f8ae7827
Xx, xy men have larger hippocamus involved in spatial reasoning
Women have larger locus coeruleus more cautious
- Do you think same-sex relationships are more likely to be egalitarian?
There’s usually a fight in the feminist movement about groups that feel excluded, like the lavender menace. Lately it’s trans women feeling left out—should distinguish between sex and gender. Also, conservative states have tried to use bathroom use as a wedge issue. Transgender studies is developing, following Queer Theory and studies.
As US college students and professors return to campus in the midst of a pandemic, coronavirus cases are turning up by the thousands.
A New York Times survey of more than 1,500 American colleges and universities — including every four-year public institution, every private college that competes in N.C.A.A. sports and others that identified cases — has revealed at least 26,000 cases and 64 deaths since the pandemic began.