- A giant building boom is what successful climate action looks like. That means jobs. Jobs younger people want and will be better prepared to take up.
- Young people have a massive self-interest in pushing that boom to happen as fast as possible — a self-interest every bit as strong (and far more ethical) as the self-interest that older people pursue through gradualism and delay.
- As young people become more and more powerful in the climate movement, fault lines are going to open. Those cracks are visible now. Older leaders are just in the habit of ignoring them.
- The climate movement of the 2020s will be fierce and focused on building the new world we need.
I’m finishing up Climate Girls Saving Our World, which includes Gen Z girls from every inhabited continent. Readers learn about regional issues, Gen Z, and activism. To see an exam copy email email@example.com.
Brave: Young Women’s Global Revolution. Vol. 1 reports on young women’s global issues and Vol. 2 on regional issues, based on surveys of 4,000 young people from 88 countries. It’s a Nautilus Book Award winner.
Also see Resist: Goals and Tactics for Changemakers
Arrested for Waving Rainbow Flag, a Gay Egyptian Takes Her Life, age 30
Charged with “inciting debauchery,” Sarah Hegazi was jailed and tortured.
Young Protesters Say Voting Isn’t Enough. Will They Do It Anyway?
“Don’t boo — vote,” has been Barack Obama’s mantra. Now, Democrats want to adapt it: Protest, then vote.
- “The ground is moving for the first time for progressive Generations Y and Z in opposition to Baby Boomers in power, observes Harvard pollster John Della Volpe. He points out that globally the Millennials (Gen Y) are the largest one in history. He calls them the Values Generation, evidenced by the large numbers of white protesters against police violence. Just as they were fired up by the Parkland movement for gun control to vote in 2018, he predicts the same for the 2020 election (although they didn’t turn out for Bernie Sander’s presidential campaign). Your observations about generation differences?
- Max Haskell, Oct 11, 2019. Daily Trojan
- Pollster discusses millennial, Gen Z voter trends ahead of 2020 elections